Be it your craft table, kitchen, office, library or home proper lighting is essential. There are many options to choose from. So one must choose wisely. Consider the functionality, utility, aesthetics, energy efficiency, and budget.
Proper lighting is necessary, especially in the kitchen. Earlier just a single kitchen light was used. The trend has changed with progress in under cabinet lights. Thanks to them now there is no strain on the eyes. Under cabinet lighting provides bright and focused lights for chopping, stirring or cooking. It also defines the kitchen space and style.
Overhead lighting is normally common in homes. But the under cabinet lighting has been around for a long time but gained popularity recently.
- 7 Rules for Under Cabinet Lighting
Best Under Under Cabinet Lighting
- LEPOTEC motion sensor wireless, USB battery rechargeable, magnetic cabinet lights
- LUNSY rechargeable, remote control, wireless magnet bar for kitchen
- 20-LED White rechargeable wireless motion sensor cabinet light
- Silver2 rechargeable, wireless, stick-on anywhere portable lights
- How Under Cabinet Light Works
7 Rules for Under Cabinet Lighting
Let’s look into the different features of under cabinet lighting. Firstly, let us look at the reasoning to choose under cabinet lighting.
Better Lighting: Combining them with overhead lights is a good idea. You can get added focus on the kitchen platform with these lights.
No shadows: Say goodbye to shadows. Now cooking can be done in proper lighting.
Trendy: It’s the new look and style. So if you are redoing the kitchen then consider under cabinet lighting.
Now, lets us see the different types of under cabinet lighting.
1. Xenon lights
Xenon lights give a nice bright and warm feel to the kitchen. They are long-lasting and reasonably energy efficient. Xenon lights can get pretty hot. Avoid keeping fresh vegetables and fruits away from the light.
- High-low-off feature
- Hard-wire and plug-in option
- Fairly energy-efficient
- Gets very hot
If you are looking for additional brightness in the kitchen then go for Xenon lights.
2. Fluorescent Lights
Fluorescent lights are classy, energy-efficient, and low heating. No doubt fluorescent lights are a popular choice.
The slim fluorescent strips are an excellent option. They provide enough light and will just hide under the cabinet.
If you are not fond of fluorescent bulbs then opt for the CFL.
Choosing the higher wattage cabinet fluorescent lights for brighter lighting.
- Bright light
- No shadow while cooking
- Uniform lighting
- Long life with 10,000 hours of life
Upfront cost is higher
Even though the upfront cost is high, savings come in later as the lights are energy efficient.
3. LED Lights (Light Emitting Diodes)
LED lights are the most preferred choice. Too many benefits. They are versatile, energy-efficient, long-lasting, low heating.
LED lights under cabinet lighting have two types of options strip lights and puck lights.
4. LED strip lights
Strip lights are easy to install. Just peel and stick them. They will hide under the cabinet and just emit light. They even come in a waterproof option. The best part is they are cheaper.
The only drawback is they are dimmer when compared to other lights. It works well with bright overhead lighting.
5. Puck LED lights
Surface-mounted puck LED lights have to be installed carefully. It requires drilling and screwing it in the cabinet.
Recessed puck lights require a cut in the cabinet. The power hub also has to be placed. Installing them at the front side of the cabinet gives a good look. If you are looking for focused light and appealing ambiance then puck lights are a good option.
- 85% more energy efficient
- Low heating and cool to touch
- Long life with 50,000 hours of life
- Operate on low voltage
LED light is expensive to purchase. But they offer good savings through energy efficiency. I prefer LED lights and recommend to use for their numerous benefits.
6. Halogen Lighting
Halogens are warm, bright and cheap. Halogens require a lot of maintenance are very hot.
- Bright lighting
- Very hot
- Short life with 2,000 hours life span
- Not energy efficient
- Requires more maintenance
- Halogens are a good option when you have budget constraints.
Important features to consider when choosing under cabinet lighting.
- The best option is to buy cooler temperature lights for kitchen under cabinets
- The type of countertop is vital to consider. Matte finish countertops reflect light easily. A lot of glare is produced by glossy countertops. Light-colored countertops reflect more light whereas darker shades absorb more light.
- You need to decide on the placement of lights and available space. Measuring the space is important.
The right blend of under cabinet lighting and recessed lighting is essential for every home. The correct combination not only provides bright and focused lights but also adds to the aesthetics of the room.
The under-cabinet lights provide better illumination and look stylish and trendy. The under cabinet lighting is useful as safety and focused lights. These lights have been in the market for long but have become popular recently. Under-cabinet lighting has the below options:
Today, let’s review the motion sensor, wireless under cabinet lights options.
Best Under Under Cabinet Lighting
LEPOTEC motion sensor wireless, USB battery rechargeable, magnetic cabinet lights
It has inbuilt three modes of adjustable motion sensing. The three modes are Motion Sensing, Instant-on, and Instant off. The light can be used as a regular night light or also as motion sensor light. This LEPOTEC light automatically senses motion with a range of 10ft/120 degrees. It automatically shuts off after 20 seconds of no movement.
In the motion sensor mode, the lights will not turn on during day time when it is bright. If you feel during the day, the sunlight is insufficient, then cover the motion sensor for a moment.
It has a built-in 1500mAH rechargeable battery. It can be charged using the USB cable included in the pack. On full charging, it can last for approximately 8 to 10 hours on Instant on mode and 1 to 2 months on motion sensing mode.
Installing LEPOTEC lights is very simple and easy. There are two methods to install the lights. The lights back cover comes with a built-in magnet. So you can stick the light on any iron surface. If you do not have an iron surface, then use the double-sided 3M tape and iron sheet to hold it on any other surface. In the future, if you want to change the location of the light, take it off anytime.
The light comes with a 2-year warranty and 80000 hours of service life.
- These multifunctional under cabinet LEPOTEC lights have broad applications. Install it in the bedroom, baby room, closet, cabinet, corridor, basement, garage, stairs, doors, and entrances.
- It has a red and green indicator for charging and charged mode for batteries.
- LEPOTEC motion sensor wireless lights are straightforward to install.
- The double-sided tape can unreliable and may not hold the light long enough. It is better to drill or use it on an iron surface.
- Placing two motion sensor lights too close to each other will cause one of them does not turn on. Do not install two or more motion sensor lights very close to each other.
LUNSY rechargeable, remote control, wireless magnet bar for kitchen
This LUNSY light has two working modes. It has a switch with on-off-auto modes or the remote control mode. The light’s brightness is also adjustable as per your need. The remote works up to a distance of 13 feet.
It comes with a 3.7V/700mAh battery, which is a rechargeable battery. Since there is no need for AAA batteries, these are energy-saving and environmentally friendly. It gets charged within a few hours.
LUNSY motion sensor lights come with two easy methods of installation. Stick it anywhere with the help of a 3M adhesive magnetic strip.
LUNSY motion sensor wireless lights come with a 12-month warranty.
- LUNSY lights save a lot of cost on battery replacement.
- Install it in the bedroom, closet, hallway, cabinet, corridor, kitchen, bookshelf, and cupboards
- The battery does not last very long and requires frequent charging
20-LED White rechargeable wireless motion sensor cabinet light
The 20-LED comes with three adjustable working mode options. It has a 3-way switch with the on-off-G mode on it. Switch to on for the light to be continuously on and G for motion sensor mode. In the G model, the lights would automatically sense human motion in a range of 10 ft / 120 degrees. The light goes off automatically after 20 seconds of no movement.
The 20-led has a built-in 1000mAh rechargeable battery. Charge it with the USB cable, which is in the pack. On a full charge, it can last for approximately 10 hours on the on-mode and 1 to 2 months on motion sensing mode.
The 20-led has a built-in magnet that sticks to any iron surface. It comes with an adhesive tape and iron strip to stick it on any other surface. If in the future, you wish to change the place, you can remove it off.
The 20-led light has a two-year warranty and 80000 hours of long service life.
- The installation is super easy, and the light is bright
- They are perfect for a house with small toddlers who cannot turn on the light. So the motion sensing is the best option.
- The 20-led light will not light up when it’s very bright during the day time
Silver2 rechargeable, wireless, stick-on anywhere portable lights
The Silver2 light comes with three adjustable working mode options. It has a 3-way switch with the on-off-G mode on it. Switch to on for the light to be continuously on and G for motion sensor mode. In the G model, the lights would automatically sense human motion in a range of 10 ft / 120 degrees. The light goes off automatically after 20 seconds of no movement.
The 20-led has a built-in magnet that sticks to any iron surface. It comes with an adhesive tape and iron strip to stick it on any other surface. If in the future, you wish to change the place, you can remove it off — no drilling needed for installation.
The Silver2 light has a built-in rechargeable 850mAh polymer lithium battery. Silver2 light comes with a 90 days money-back guarantee.
- Silver2 light is supernatural to install, bright, and value for money.
- The Silver2 light is not waterproof. Avoid using in damp areas.
How Under Cabinet Light Works
Voltage: There are two types of voltage. The life span, quality, and savings are similar in high and low voltage. Low voltage lighting produces less heat. Small lights can be used on low voltage.
Wiring: There are two types of wiring plug -in and hard-wire. Plug-in will pull power from a power socket. It is simple and cheaper. Hard-wiring is connecting to current wiring in the house.
Dimming: One should buy lights with dimming features. It helps adjust as per the requirement. They are good to create mood lighting.
Lenses: Lenses help in even distribution of light and minimizes glare.
Useful tips for under cabinet lights
- Place the lights in the front of the cabinet. It gives uniform lighting on the countertop. Do not place them at the back.
- If you have a granite countertop then LED strip lights with diffuser is a good option.
- I recommend using dimmers with whichever type of lighting you choose
- For all lighting needs, use the same color bulbs to match the tone of the kitchen
- Try different light combinations on your countertop before deciding on the final choice. That way you can get a fair idea of how it would look and feel.
- There is a wide range of color options in RGB (Red, green, blue) LED tapes. I recommend using the right combination depending on your kitchen decor.
- Use longer light fixtures to provide uniform lighting on the countertop
- To save some additional amount you can DIY the under cabinet lights. You can look it up on the internet for DIY ideas.
Every customer has different needs. Planning the kitchen lighting in detail is important. Measure the space between countertop to ceiling and countertop to cabinets. The ideal choice is to have a mix of overhead and cabinet lighting.